POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray /and/ debian (ETCH) : Re: povray /and/ debian (ETCH) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:17:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray /and/ debian (ETCH)
From: Antti Arola
Date: 24 Jun 2008 13:41:24
Message: <slrng62ce4.jct.aea@strahclyde.localdomain>
On 24.06. 2008, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Antti Arola <aea### [at] ioboxfi> wrote:
>> when talking about "free" in relation to software, the FOSS crowd
>> typically means "free as in speech" and not "free as in beer".
>
>   I find that allusion completely flawed.

And rightly so. Apologies for perpetuating that expression, but
I'm afraid seeing it so often has polluted my phrase repository,
and while flawed, it does at least manage to make the distinction
between ideological freedom and lack of cost. :-\

I doubt anyone will ever manage to distill what software freedom
truly and exactly means into a catchy one- or two-liner, for even
FOSS advocates themselves can't seem to be able to agree with
each other on where the lines should be drawn.

--
Antti Arola
Suosittelen Netpostin boikotointia