18 Oct 2024 10:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Joel Yliluoma
Date: 11 Dec 2007 04:12:56
Message: <slrnflsl4n.9br.bisqwit@bisqwit.iki.fi>
On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 18:36:05 -0800, Darren New wrote:
> I mean, how the heck does Joel know what God is thinking better than I do?

My point was that none of does. My interpretation abilities aren't
significantly different from yours. However, I do believe in what
the Bible tells us about God, and this makes me believe that God's
reasoning abilities are significantly higher than that of any of us.

> How come when Joel tells me that I don't understand, I don't get to
> point out the parts of the Bible where God says yes, I *do* understand.
> Isn't that logical?

If I understand correctly, you are referring to the "tree of good and evil"
and interpreting that the tree gave the human powers of understanding good
and evil equalling that of God.

Genesis 3:22 (KJV) says:
"And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good
and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of
life, and eat, and live for ever".

This does not unambiguously imply that we now understand everything
(or even good and evil) as God does. It only says that we've got some
understanding.

Let's assume you don't know computer programming. If you now study computer
programming, go through a basic course, I may say that you are now like me,
you know programming. But that doesn't make you as proficient as I am with
it; you may have no idea about most of the things I consider when developing
programs. You would have *some* understanding only.

--
Joel Yliluoma - http://iki.fi/bisqwit/