POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Portal : Re: Portal Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:22:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portal
From: Joel Yliluoma
Date: 16 Oct 2007 05:45:43
Message: <slrnfh9226.fm3.bisqwit@bisqwit.iki.fi>
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:23:37 +0100, Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> Slime wrote:
>> Anyone else playing Portal? I bet almost everyone here would enjoy it. It's
>> a short game but it's really good. $20 on Steam.
>
> I completed it last night.

Me too.

Though I before buying the game, I watched all the Portal videos on
youtube that I could find, so I knew pretty much everything starting
from the toilet till the ending song.

But some puzzles still stumped me for a hour or two, especially #18
where I couldn't at first figure out what to do after I acquired
the storage cube from the upper platform behind the large pit.

Still have to play the advanced puzzles though.

One fun I discovered which wasn't covered in any youtube videos was
about dislodging the cameras from walls, and taking large piles of
items to a distant location should you need them for toppling the
gun turrets.

Speaking of gun turrets, there was this one stage where turrets
could actually be placed on a button where a storage cube was
supposed to be placed, and hold the button down.

Then there were two or three hidden rooms with bean cans and lots
of text. Those were interesting.

I liked GLaDOS's murky humor though.

**SPOILERS BELOW**

"Deploying surprise in five, four, <clonk> Timeout for a second.
 Do you see that thing that fell out of me? What is that? I haven't
 seen it before. Nevermind, it is a mystery I'll solve later.
 By myself. Because you will be dead."
"You are kidding me. Did you just drop that Aperture Science thing
 we don't know what it does into an Aperture Science Emergency
 Intelligence Incinerator? That has got to be the dumbest thing -- wow wow."
"Good news. That was the morality core they installed in me after I flooded
 the Enrichment Center with a deadly neurotoxin, to stop me from flooding
 the Enrichment Center with a deadly neurotoxin."

--
Joel Yliluoma - http://bisqwit.iki.fi/
: comprehension = 1 / (2 ^ precision)