POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help Trace (easy) : Help Trace (easy) Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:19:30 EDT (-0400)
  Help Trace (easy)
From: Jettero Heller
Date: 16 Feb 2004 12:49:26
Message: <slrnc320l5.acv.povfan@corky.voltar-confed.org>
I've been searching for this for a while, so either I don't know
how to search for it, or it's not asked as often as I'd think.

I have a very round object made up of the intersection/union of
several toruses and spheres.  I wish to find it's maximum
diameter in the XZ plane...

It strikes me that that should be very easy to do, but I can't
seem to wrap my mind around "Calculating the closest
intersection" from the pov docs.

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/117/

Is there an easy way to find the diameter by shooting the object
with a couple rays?  Or am I better off trying to figure out the
complicated geometry of the thing?

--
If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming.
50 jumps, 15.0 minutes of freefall, 31.3 ff vertical miles.