POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : New release Pyvon : Re: What is the fuss about emacs ? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:54:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is the fuss about emacs ?
From: Steve
Date: 27 Nov 2002 19:57:04
Message: <slrnauaqee.vvr.steve@zeropps.org.uk>
On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 23:14:51 +0100, fabien Henon wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>
> I have just installed xemacs with pov-mode, and....I just don't see
> what's the fuss is all about.
> I followed the instructions found in the pov-mode site.
> - Syntax highlighting does not work on opening a file
> - No word completion
> - Where is the output of the streams ?
> - How do I change the render resolution ?
> - How do I pause a running render ?
> - Is there a partial rendering feature -> how do I add parameters in the
> command-line ?
> - Is there another way to change colors apart from twiddling in the
> .emacs file with some obscure parameters ?

I use PovMenu as my POV command line manager, and as for emacs, well as
Christof has explained, you probably don't have it set up correctly,
have it use PC keys for selecting, copying and pasting etc with:

(pc-selection-mode)

in your .emacs file, and when it comes to altering the colours of the
syntax highlighting I go to the xxxx.el file such as pov-mode.el or
perl.el or html.el or whatever it is that I want to change.   I use
emacs for all source editing, POV, perl, HTML, C and Bash, and for any
large editing jobs like utility documentation and that kind of thing.

The only thing I don't use emacs for is writing news and mail messages,
and for that I use Pico because it loads so fast, (actually emacs run
with -nw opens just as fast, I may consider switching).

And I don't like Xemacs, though I do run a copy of gnu emacs that opens
it's own window (but this is not Xemacs).  I tryed Xemacs in a previous
life, I don't even have it on this machine.

The emacs FAQ is very useful:

     http://www.lerner.co.il/emacs/
    and
      ftp://ftp.lerner.co.il/pub/emacs/
    and
      ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/comp.emacs/
      ftp://ftp.uni-paderborn.de/pub/doc/FAQ/comp/emacs/

Also I like to look into the usenet group gnu.emacs.help now and again.

I am currently using version:

GNU Emacs 20.5.1

Which is about four years old but still does the bizz.

I can also write macros in my .emacs file, for example there's a project
I've been working on which requires me to delete the first three
characters of the first line of a paragra, delete the first two characters
of the second line of the paragraph and then block justify tha paragraph and
move the cursor to the beginning of the next paragraph, so I can do that with
one button press:

(global-set-key [f8] "\C-d\C-d\C-d\C-n\C-d\C-d\M-1\M-q\C-a\M-}\C-n")

It also works nicely with RCS and CVS, can work accross networks and the
net without any problems, can act as an ftp client, telnet client or even
as a shell.  It's directory management tools can be quite nice, and it's
got a built in calandar and diary.

If you want any help with the .emacs file let me know and I can post mine,
or have a look at some examples and pinch some ideas for emacs from:

http://www.dotfiles.com/index.php3?app_id=6

and for Xemacs:

http://www.dotfiles.com/index.php3?app_id=7

There's just a few reasons why I like emacs:-)

--
#local i=.1;#local I=(i/i)/i;#local l=(i+i)/i;#local ll=(I/i)/l;box{<-ll,
-((I/I)+l),-ll><ll,-l,ll>pigment{checker scale l}finish{ambient((I/l)/I)+