POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Pyvon 0.99 released : Re: Pyvon 0.99 released Server Time
6 Oct 2024 14:35:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pyvon 0.99 released
From: Steve
Date: 10 Sep 2002 04:51:46
Message: <slrnanrcjt.nev.steve@zeropps.org.uk>
On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 08:50:34 +0200, Fabien HENON wrote:

>> I don't want to discourage you from working on this but feel that these
>> basic issues need sorting out.  A real configure and install script would
>> be good.
>

> An install script just to untar an archive ! I don't see what's the point.
> A script is good when you have to configure, compile and  move your
> libraries into the proper directory.

Why shoudn't the components of Pyvon go into the proper directories?
Why isn't the executable put into a bin directory that's in the search
path?  Why are all the other files in the same directory instead of in
their own lib directory?

> In the present case, everything you need is in a single directory. Just
> type the name of the only file that has executable chmod and that's it.

Yes but to use it you have to go to that directory first becasue you don't
install it into anywhere useful, ie there is no install scirpt and no
reasonable install instructions.

The documentation is every bit as important as the software.

> When you exit from Pyvon, the software does it all for you ( write your
> parameters and preferences in your home directory).

Ok I see the RC file now, but you don't keep to a naming convention,
firstly you call the executable Pyvon and you put it in a directory (that
could be anywhere), called Pyvon but call the rc file .pyvonrc with a
lowercase "P".

--
%HAV-A-NICEDAY                    email mailto:ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet
Steve                                web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/