POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look Server Time
6 Aug 2024 00:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look
From: Ron Parker
Date: 3 Sep 2002 12:22:11
Message: <slrnan9odl.5jt.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On 3 Sep 2002 11:13:11 -0400, Warp wrote:
> Tom Melly <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote:
>> The bottom line is that CSS moves design out of html where it never belonged.
>
>   I agree with you that this is exactly the reason why he should like CSS
> instead of hating it. CSS is a step towards eliminating style definitions
> from the HTML file. It's going towards the original purpose of HTML, as he
> defined it.

I think it's "Stupid CSS Tricks" (by analogy with Letterman's classic "Stupid
Human Tricks" and "Stupid Pet Tricks" segments; no judgment intended) that he
doesn't like.  Parts of CSS are wonderful, but parts of it are just plain
broken.  Letting me choose how I want <EM> to appear?  Wonderful.  Letting
the "designer" litter my screen with scare quotes and sidebars?  No.  HTML is
not a page description language.  Use PostScript or PDF if that's what you
want.  In my (never) humble opinion, the decline of the web coincided with
the replacement of the word "author" with the word "designer" on webmonkeys'
resumes.

And on another point: who's browsing the web with a 486 these days?  Maybe
only a few poverty-level communities in central Africa, and who cares about
them anyway, right?  But wait, what about the 20 MHz Motorola 68EZ328 in my
Palm Vx?  And the 160x160 pixel display?  What went wrong with the vision of
HTML that made it possible for a program like AvantGo to succeed?  Why
shouldn't I be able to view ANY webpage with my Palm, rather than just the
ones that have been "designed" for it?

--
plane{-z,-3normal{crackle scale.2#local a=5;#while(a)warp{repeat x flip x}rotate
z*60#local a=a-1;#end translate-9*x}pigment{rgb 1}}light_source{-9red 1rotate 60