POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.books : Time for eBooks? : Re: Time for eBooks? Server Time
18 May 2024 17:06:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Time for eBooks?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 8 Aug 2002 15:50:12
Message: <slrnal5iru.an7.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Thu,  8 Aug 2002 15:32:04 EDT, Eli Sarver wrote:
> Ron Parker wrote:
>>  o If sample code is included, it should either be possible to select it
>>    and copy it directly from the PDF document, or there should be a hyperlink
>>    to a text file containing the sample code.  This should apply whenever
>>    the sample is more than 2-3 lines long, and possibly even more often.
>
> There's a button in acrobat reader with an ibar next to a T. You click that
> and you can drag and copy text out.

And it even works, if you didn't enable the security features of Acrobat or
use formatting that was just a little too wonky (columns, sidebars, tables,
etc.)  That was the point I was trying to make there.

> It may be a pain in the butt to set everything up, but once you are running
> with latex, you'll wonder why you use such meddling software like word and
> acrobat.

I actually used TeX, and later AMS-TeX, to do all of my homework assignments
when I was still a lowly undergraduate.  LaTeX always seemed like too much
extra sugar.  However, it takes a special kind of person to like writing in
either of them.

Anyway, you seem to have missed my point, which was that if one is going to
distribute a technical document in PDF, one should keep those rules in mind.
I wasn't addressing the issue of what tools one might use to generate said
PDF file, or whether generating it was a good idea in the first place.  The
scary part is that all of those rules come from real-life experience with
very badly done PDF files.

--
#local R=<7084844682857967,0787982,826975826580>;#macro L(P)concat(#while(P)chr(
mod(P,100)),#local P=P/100;#end"")#end background{rgb 1}text{ttf L(R.x)L(R.y)0,0