POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Camera Parameters, esp. angle : Re: Camera Parameters, esp. angle Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:19:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Camera Parameters, esp. angle
From: Ron Parker
Date: 7 Aug 2002 10:42:09
Message: <slrnal2ce6.7fm.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Tue,  6 Aug 2002 04:50:55 EDT, Ichthyostega wrote:
> Sometimes, I got the impression, panoramic cameras are a rather exotic
> feature, used sadly enough only to get "distorted images". In this case
> it doesn't matter when the aspect ratio is wrong or the angele doesn't fit.

Panoramic cameras have a fixed angle because that's the way they were made.
They always render a hemisphere.  I'm not sure how you can say the aspect
ratio is wrong; it's just a matter of understanding that "aspect ratio"
is meaningless when your pixels are measured in degrees instead of inches,
because the distance in inches across the center of the image will always
be infinitely larger than the distance in inches across the top of the image.

"panoramic" is like half of a Mercator projection, but without the correction
factor that keeps Greenland from being "squished" vertically.

I think you'll find that the effects you're looking for are easier to
achieve with the ultra_wide_angle camera type rather than the panoramic.

--
#local R=rgb 99;#local P=R-R;#local F=pigment{gradient x}box{0,1pigment{gradient
y pigment_map{[.5F pigment_map{[.3R][.3F color_map{[.15red 99][.15P]}rotate z*45