POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Overlaping objects with different ior values : Re: Overlaping objects with different ior values Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:19:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Overlaping objects with different ior values
From: Ron Parker
Date: 24 Jul 2002 14:45:45
Message: <slrnajtter.db0.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 12:38:17 -0500, Christopher James Huff wrote:
> In article <3d3edcb6@news.povray.org>, Micha Riser <mri### [at] gmxnet>
> wrote:
>
>> AFAIR the discussions about this problem the suggested why to do this is
>> make the water overlap the glass. Because leaving a space between will
>> cause multiple reflections. However I don't know if the overlaping is
>> handled as wished in that case.
>
> Which is exactly what I was talking about...

It's handled correctly except for the very rare case where a ray enters
the water object without leaving the glass object.  If your surfaces are
close enough together, that almost never happens and AA will fix it if it
does.

POV keeps a list of all interiors it's inside, and when it hits another face
that has the same interior, it removes that interior from the list.  If it
wasn't the last interior, though, the IOR doesn't change.  That effectively
makes the glass faces that are inside the water "disappear" from the point
of view of refraction/TIR, though of course any textures will still be
computed.

--
#local R=rgb 99;#local P=R-R;#local F=pigment{gradient x}box{0,1pigment{gradient
y pigment_map{[.5F pigment_map{[.3R][.3F color_map{[.15red 99][.15P]}rotate z*45