POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to Unexpire Beta 3.5 : Re: How to Unexpire Beta 3.5 Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:20:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to Unexpire Beta 3.5
From: Peter J  Holzer
Date: 20 Jan 2002 14:01:17
Message: <slrna4m0tj.694.hjp-usenet@teal.h.hjp.at>
On 2002-01-19 22:11, Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
> In article <slr### [at] tealhhjpat> , hjp### [at] hjpat
> (Peter J. Holzer) wrote:
>
>> As far as I can see, there isn't any announcement that the MacIntosh and
>> Linux betas exist. If someone hadn't mentioned "all three platforms"
>> earlier in this thrad and I hadn't known about the MacIntosh beta and
>> noticed that there isn't a link to it on the web site (but there is one
>> for the windows beta), I wouldn't even have checked the FTP server.
>
> There are links to all three platform versions on www.povray.org,

Ah, yes, now I see it. But I searched around for a good 10 minutes, even
though it is right on the home page.

> Further, all betas have been announced at some time in the past.  That is,
> the Mac and Windows beta availability have been announced in these groups
> when beta 1 was announced, and the Linux beta was announced when it became
> available.

But only in the beta group, not in povray.general. After several betas
for windows and mac but none for linux I had unsubscribed p.beta-test,
assuming the linux beta would be announced here, just like the windows
and mac betas were. (I have scored up "Subject: linux", so I don't think
I just missed the announcement).

> I really don't see how anyone can miss all those links, threads and other
> pointers to the Mac or Linux beta versions!?!

Two reasons:

1) That box looks like a banner ad. People don't read banner ads.

2) For the windows version, there is a big link on
http://www.povray.org/binaries/windows.html. So one would expect there
to be similar links on http://www.povray.org/binaries/linux.html and
http://www.povray.org/binaries/macintosh.html. But there aren't.

Hej, there's no harm done. I found out about the linux beta about a week
after it was available. Who cares whether I found it by accident or
through a well-placed announcement? It's here and my first reports will
be hitting p.beta-test within the next hour or so.

	hp

--

|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | Verstand, die Augen haben und nicht sehen,

__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |    -- Jeremia 5:21