POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV and Quantum Mechanics? : Re: POV and Quantum Mechanics? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:15:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV and Quantum Mechanics?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 20 Jan 2002 11:26:22
Message: <slrna4lrtg.c9b.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 15:39:30 -0600, Tim Cook wrote:
> There's only 3 more values per ray for a more realistic simulation
> of light; amplidude/frequency/rotation around axis of travel...?

You also have to have a value for circular polarization, where the phase
of the horizontally polarized component is delayed by 90 degrees from the
phase of the vertically polarized component.  Also, for the sake of
minimizing the number of rays we trace, we actually bundle all the
frequency information together in a spectral power distribution of sorts.

> Could probably do some interesting things with having materials
> change the frequency of the light...

Fluorescence.  Yes, that could be interesting.

> Speaking of something completely different...iridescence.  It's
> an interference pattern between two surfaces of oil or similar,
> how 'bout trying to do that the hard way in POV?

"the hard way" could be harder than you think: it depends on the wave
nature of light, which POV does not simulate.

--
#macro R(L P)sphere{L F}cylinder{L P F}#end#macro P(V)merge{R(z+a z)R(-z a-z)R(a
-z-z-z a+z)torus{1F clipped_by{plane{a 0}}}translate V}#end#macro Z(a F T)merge{