POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Feature idea: unlimited functions in textures : Re: Feature idea: unlimited functions in textures Server Time
8 Jul 2024 17:03:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature idea: unlimited functions in textures
From: Ron Parker
Date: 20 Nov 2001 10:52:17
Message: <slrn9vkv1i.prc.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:31:13 +0100, Rune wrote:
> thoughts. Other suggestions of how to accomplish extreme user-control of
> textures would have my interest. I've already heard of shaders using
> POV-Man, but I think that an approach more natural to the POV-Ray scripting
> language, and which wouldn't require compiling would be better.

As you probably know, POV 3.5 has a built-in bytecode interpreter that's used
to do functions and isosurfaces and such.  However, it's not limited to just
those uses.  It could easily be used to execute an SL-like language.  The
idea of using it to do the sort of thing you suggest is something that's been
tossed around with the POV-Team, but put off until some other time due to
time constraints (among other things, the interpreter would have to be beefed
up to have integer numeric types and so on.)

--
plane{-z,-3normal{crackle scale.2#local a=5;#while(a)warp{repeat x flip x}rotate
z*60#local a=a-1;#end translate-9*x}pigment{rgb 1}}light_source{-9red 1rotate 60