POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray 3.5 beta 7 available : Re: POV-Ray 3.5 beta 7 available Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:15:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3.5 beta 7 available
From: Peter J  Holzer
Date: 31 Oct 2001 06:01:30
Message: <slrn9tvhsb.50a.hjp-usenet@teal.h.hjp.at>
On 2001-10-31 06:27, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
> : It is being working on it but I have heard no indication when it will
> : be ready for the public. It may have to wait for the official release.
>
>   I have been compiling the up-to-date version for Solaris for several weeks
> now (as I have access to the source code) and helped beta-testing this part
> (ie. compiling the unix-version).

Yep. When beta 1 came out I offered help to port it to the few Unix
platforms I have access to and was answered that no help was needed as
it runs already on (some) Unixes.

>   However, I understand that making a whole and stable packet of a beta
> distribution for Unix is not that simple and there are lots of other things
> to do as well... (I think that specially documentation is a bit problematic,
> although I'm sure that people would be happy to have just the binary even
> without the documentation.)

What is the problem with the documentation? The essential parts should
be the same as for Windows and Mac and that's already available in HTML
on povray.org. What's probably missing is an installation guide and a
"what's different" document.

>   If there's enough interest in a Sparc Solaris binary, I could see what I
> can do to provide one (although I suppose that a Linux binary would be more
> requested...).

Since the fastest Solaris machine I have access to right now is a 143
MHz Ultra 1 with 96 MB RAM[1], yes, I would prefer Linux :-).

	hp

[1] 5 Years ago it was a great Povray machine ...

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Oder glaubst du "Bugtraq" waere eine
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | Science-Fiction TV-Serie ueber Schaben
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |	-- Juergen P. Meier in dcsm