POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.international : [en] Looking for hints decoding messages in this group : Re: [en] Looking for hints decoding messages in this group Server Time
27 Jul 2024 16:16:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [en] Looking for hints decoding messages in this group
From: Steve
Date: 26 Oct 2001 04:30:24
Message: <slrn9ti7ig.k8m.steve@zero-pps.localdomain>
On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 10:19:39 +0200, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>Hello,
>
>As some of you may have noticed, this group is not yet visible in the web
>newsgroup view.  The reason is that I know there will be problems with the
>support of some languages.  In particular those who don't use the ISO 8859-1
>character set.  While I can come up with solutions to work with all Latin
>and Cyrillic characters, I have no idea how to convert Japanese characters
>in "ISO 2022-jp" to meaningful HTML.  I think the problems would be similar
>for Chinese and Korean conversion to HTML.
>
>What I am looking for is some links or other sources with technical
>descriptions how to convert such encodings to HTML.  Of course these would
>have to be in English...

How about deciding what charset to use depending on the information from the
browser, so don't have a fixed charset for those html pages but have a variable
that you get from the browser, and in absence default to ISO 8859-1.

When I run a simple bit of perl script I get some interesting info.

HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET = iso-8859-1,*,utf-8
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE = en

The code:

  foreach $key (sort keys %ENV) {
         print $key, " = ", $ENV{$key}, br;
      }

But I suppose you already know about this kind of stuff.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet

web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  9:16am  up 17 days, 23:57,  1 user,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00