POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature idea: Compile to data file option : Re: Feature idea: Compile to data file option Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:17:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature idea: Compile to data file option
From: Peter J  Holzer
Date: 22 Oct 2001 06:00:44
Message: <slrn9t7lgr.gba.hjp-usenet@teal.h.hjp.at>
On 2001-10-21 19:30, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Peter J. Holzer <hjp### [at] hjpat> wrote:
> : A human readable ASCII form for images? Like PPM ASCII or XPM? You
> : get much more than a factor of 3-4 for these compared to JPG (I just
> : converted a 600x600 pixel JPG (83k) to PPM: 4.2M, or a factor of
> : 51!),
>
>   What a fair comparison. PPM and XPM are uncompressed while JPG is
> highly compressed. You should have tested uuencoding the JPG.

Please read the last few messages again. My argument *was* that
base64-encoding (or uuencoding, which is almost the same thing) expands
a file only a factor of 1.33, not by 3-4, as Christoph claimed. But
Christoph corrected me that he was not talking about base64-encoding JPG
but about "human readable" ASCII picture formats.

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Oder glaubst du "Bugtraq" waere eine
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | Science-Fiction TV-Serie ueber Schaben
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |	-- Juergen P. Meier in dcsm