POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature idea: Compile to data file option : Re: Feature idea: Compile to data file option Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:16:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature idea: Compile to data file option
From: Peter J  Holzer
Date: 20 Oct 2001 20:00:29
Message: <slrn9t42u6.ho9.hjp-usenet@teal.h.hjp.at>
On 2001-10-20 18:35, Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> Ze!nPs### [at] yahoocom wrote:
>>
>> See, the way I envision povray SDL working is like postscript- except
>> for 3d graphics.
>>
>> Povray should allow for including an image directly into the source
>> file.
>
> Note that this would blow up the size at least by factor 3-4 with ascii.

Only 33 % if you use base 64 encoding. How do you get a factor of 3-4?

>> So that everything can be collapsed into a single file, including all
>> the images and the include files that everyone might not have.
>
> I'm still not sure what you would gain with that. If the include
> files are your own, you can easily put them together by hand since
> you probably know which ones you use.

If you want to automate the process (e.g., for distributing a render
over several computers) having to maintain a list of files is
cumbersome. However, I think that having Povray to generate a list of
all the files it read is enough for that task. It also has the advantage
that you can easily generate Makefile rules from the output.

>> Perhaps there was a standard binary equivilent for each object - such
>> as mesh2, which would greatly benefit from say, being able to have a
>> triangle mesh binary file that you can call directly into a scene
>> using an #include directive or something similar.
>
> Remember that floating point numbers in binaries are not platform
> independant.

Neither are integers. If you define a portable binary format, you will
have to define the format of all its components, too.

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Oder glaubst du "Bugtraq" waere eine
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | Science-Fiction TV-Serie ueber Schaben
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |	-- Juergen P. Meier in dcsm