POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isn't it time for a new pov benchmark? : Re: Isn't it time for a new pov benchmark? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:15:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isn't it time for a new pov benchmark?
From: Peter J  Holzer
Date: 26 Aug 2001 12:02:13
Message: <slrn9oi28h.vut.hjp-usenet@teal.h.hjp.at>
On 2001-08-20 12:56, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
> Christoph Hormann wrote:
>
>> - radiosity scene (high memory use and very random access to memory)
>
> High memory use would be bad. You can't know how much memory every
> computer has installed and if someone runs out of memory, and has
> to resort to disk swapping, it will negate their render time as
> accurate.

Their render times are still accurate. Render time does depend on the
amount of memory you have (and the quality of the swapping algorithm and
the speed of the disks) for large scenes. Memory is as much (or even
more) constricting to my scenes than CPU power is. Therefore a benchmark
suite should contain scenes with varying amounts of memory.

> There are still people running machines with much less
> than 128 megs and even those people with 128 megs installed have
> the OS using up much of those resources.

Right. This means that they cannot expect good performance when
rendering large scenes. Just like someone with a slow CPU cannot expect
good performance when rendering scenes which need a lot of CPU power.

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Oder glaubst du "Bugtraq" waere eine
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | Science-Fiction TV-Serie ueber Schaben
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |	-- Juergen P. Meier in dcsm