POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : 3.6? : Re: 3.6? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 11:39:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.6?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 9 Aug 2001 09:12:42
Message: <slrn9n532b.678.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Thu, 9 Aug 2001 13:49:05 +0100, Scott Hill wrote:
>    Oh, I'm not saying that the object bounds features should be removed and
>the text alignment features kept. More that, alignment is a property of text
>and it would seem to be more logical to have this ability built into the
>text object...

That seems true at first glance, but when you start investigating just how
many ways text can be aligned, it quickly starts looking like a daunting
task.  Left-aligned, right-aligned, center-aligned, right-justified, top or
bottom aligned, centered on all axes...  The operative philosophy is that
we prefer for those parts of the language that can be written in the language
be so done, because that makes things just as easy for the new user and more
extensible for the power user who doesn't happen to have a C++ compiler.

>Imagine yourself as new POV user - you just want to get some
>fancy textured text in your scene - you check out the docs on text, write
>your script, and then think "Now I want that bit of text centered, that bit
>left aligned and that other bit right aligned..." - with text alignment
>commands the solution is obvious, without, it's not so obvious...

Ideally, you just use the center/left/right/circular alignment macros that
are provided in the same way as colors.inc is now, and Robert's your dad's
brother.

--
plane{-z,-3normal{crackle scale.2#local a=5;#while(a)warp{repeat x flip x}rotate
z*60#local a=a-1;#end translate-9*x}pigment{rgb 1}}light_source{-9red 1rotate 60