POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Q about dispersion and spectrum macro : Re: Q about dispersion and spectrum macro Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:26:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Q about dispersion and spectrum macro
From: Ron Parker
Date: 5 Aug 2001 23:28:37
Message: <slrn9ms3n7.2h8.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Sat, 4 Aug 2001 10:40:49 -0500, Bob H. wrote:
>It's for photon caustics.  Regular POV caustics only use the filtered color
>of the object pigment.  I don't think the light_source color_map has
>anything to do with object interiors, aside from the photon mapping produced
>with dispersion.

That's correct.  What nobody's said yet, though, is that the model in MegaPOV
is badly broken.  The "spectrum" in the original code was experimental and
buggy and looked nothing like a real spectrum, and the ability to specify a
spectrum for a light source was broken in another way entirely: it turns
out that you can't take a color and definitively map it to a wavelength of
light; magenta, for example, does not appear in the EM spectrum.  After
some discussion and tweaking and much research, that functionality has been
removed from POV 3.5.  Oh, and the spectrum it uses is something that at
least looks superficially like the real EM spectrum instead of a few
simplistic linear functions and fudge factors as before.

--
plane{-z,-3normal{crackle scale.2#local a=5;#while(a)warp{repeat x flip x}rotate
z*60#local a=a-1;#end translate-9*x}pigment{rgb 1}}light_source{-9red 1rotate 60