POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Something fresh - symetry operator patch : Re: Something fresh - symetry operator patch Server Time
21 Jul 2024 03:26:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Something fresh - symetry operator patch
From: Ron Parker
Date: 11 May 2001 10:36:53
Message: <slrn9fnu8a.m5m.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Fri, 11 May 2001 16:25:37 +0200, Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba wrote:
>Please don't show me any more examples of how code this - I know it!

Perhaps you didn't notice everyone else who's reading this.  I just did
the macros to show that it can be done; in the past when I've claimed that
something was more easily done with macros than with a patch, I've gotten
a lot of static from people who want me to put up or shut up, so now I
give examples with my claims.  Don't take it personally.

>Also I know that we don't need dot operator for vector.
>Just vdot(V,x) instead of V.x
>We don't need A?B:C becouse #if(A)B#else C #end works fine
>I just needed it becouse of less typing and more natural for me

But my point was that it's not natural.  "@" doesn't mean anything like
that in any other language, and saying "A at B" in english doesn't convey
any sort of symmetry meaning, so the syntax is highly unnatural.  Those
other operators might be unnatural, too, to someone with no experience with
other languages, but at least they makes sense to some of us.

>> it quickly leads to code that looks like line noise.
>
>just like our sigs

Not even close.  Both of us have sigs that consist mostly of what looks
like English words, but something like (<4,3,2>@x+y@<5,6.7,8>).z really
does look like noise.

--
#macro R(L P)sphere{L F}cylinder{L P F}#end#macro P(V)merge{R(z+a z)R(-z a-z)R(a
-z-z-z a+z)torus{1F clipped_by{plane{a 0}}}translate V}#end#macro Z(a F T)merge{