POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV processor comparison... : Re: POV processor comparison... Server Time
8 Aug 2024 06:15:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV processor comparison...
From: Ron Parker
Date: 24 Apr 2001 16:16:26
Message: <slrn9ebnos.4gh.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:06:42 -0500, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>In article <slr### [at] fwicom> , ron### [at] povrayorg (Ron
>Parker) wrote:
>
>> Of course, my primary machine isn't even a PII, let alone a PIII, so what
>> do I know...
>
>...that it is time to upgrade?

Well, yes, but the computer industry is conspiring against me there.
See, I have an AT power supply and all of my memory (192 MB worth!) is in
the form of 72-pin SIMMs.  So, to upgrade from my current K6-2/366 (really
a 350, but don't tell it that) to a PIII, assuming I were to be temporarily
deprived of what sanity I have and pass up the cheaper/faster Athlon option,
would require me to replace the case, the power supply, the motherboard,
the CPU, 192 MB worth of memory, and probably an I/O card or two (since
current motherboards are woefully deficient of ISA slots.)

I might as well buy a new computer if I'm gonna do that.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.