POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : #local access : Re: #local access Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:25:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #local access
From: Ron Parker
Date: 2 Mar 2001 13:56:38
Message: <slrn99vr78.er.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 15:40:17 +0100, Rune wrote:
>POV-Ray does not work as the documentation states. It works like this:
>
>> (...)
>> but if you try to do that inside MyMacro you'll get the error
>> message "Cannot assign uninitialized identifier".

Right.  That's the comment I put in square brackets:

[actually, as you noticed, this is an error.]

>Whether this is a bug in POV-Ray or in the documentation I will let others
>decide.

I think it's probably easier to fix in the documentation than in the
implementation. :)  In any case, I'm not sure I like the idea of allowing
it to happen without at least pointing it out to the user.  And, as you
also noted, it's easy enough to get around:

#local temp1 = D+1;
#local D = temp1;
#undef temp1

I suggest we leave it as it is to avoid confusion, but note it in the docs.
And hope that next time it comes up someone actually reads the docs. :)

>I personally think that POV-Ray should keep its current functionality since
>it prevents the user from making stupid mistakes based on misconceptions,
>such as the example in the documentation.

Ah, then we agree.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.