POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hi from DKBTrace author : Re: Hi from DKBTrace author Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:15:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hi from DKBTrace author
From: Ron Parker
Date: 25 Jan 2001 11:36:31
Message: <slrn970lgg.54f.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 18:10:58 +0200, Peter Popov wrote:
>On 21 Jan 2001 21:10:31 -0500, ron### [at] povrayorg (Ron Parker)
>wrote:
>
>>Yeah.  You know Linux.  That OS that just won Salon's vaporware of the
>>year award for kernel 2.4.

[...]

>So, what's wrong with 2.4?

Whoops, seems I misremembered it a bit.  It only took fourth place, and
it was Wired who ran the survey rather than Salon.  Here's a URL:

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,40484,00.html

Anyway, the point is, the POV development model is a lot like the Linux
development model already: you have a bunch of people throwing a bunch of
stuff into unofficial distributions (cf. the various pre and ac releases
of Linux) and a few people who actually control the official code and
make sure it's up to standards (cf. Linus)  There's nothing wrong with this,
of course.  Until a few days ago, this machine was running 2.2.18pre17
simply because it did what I needed, and most of my machines have MegaPOV
installed for the same reason.

When real life intervenes, as it does all too often, schedules slip.  That's
why 3.5 is long overdue, and why Linux 2.4 was long overdue.  The GPL or
lack thereof is a different thing entirely, but the person I was replying
to didn't seem to understand that.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.