POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : diffuse and ambient : Re: diffuse and ambient Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:15:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: diffuse and ambient
From: Ron Parker
Date: 11 Jan 2001 16:58:57
Message: <slrn95sb53.bnv.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:42:22 -0500, Chris Huff wrote:
>Also, I always use "filter", never "transmit" for transparence. When I'm
>going for a realistic transparent material, I use a filter value of 1
>and use absorbing media or fade_color (using the "realistic attenuation"
>function) to tint the glass to the right color. This makes thick areas
>dark and very thin areas almost invisible, which is how things work in
>reality.

Transmit has a different purpose.  Transmit is supposed to be used for
things like gauze or nylon fabric or tracing paper or other things that
are transparent because they have a bunch of tiny subpixel holes in them
rather than because they are made of a semitransparent material.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.