POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : diffuse and ambient : Re: diffuse and ambient Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:27:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: diffuse and ambient
From: Ron Parker
Date: 11 Jan 2001 08:11:57
Message: <slrn95rc8u.bcr.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:40:26 -0000, Tom Melly wrote:
>My intuition is that diffuse and reflection should add to 1. Light falling
>on an object that isn't reflected is diffused and visa versa. Ambient, on
>the other hand, is a "fake" effect to simulate radiosity in a scene.

Don't forget filter/transmit and specular.  Those should be included in your
sum as well.

Ambient is equivalent to "diffuse reflection from unknown light sources" and
as such should probably also be included in the sum.  I always include it in
the sum, at any rate.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.