POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : OT: Advanced search and replace? : Re: Advanced search and replace? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Advanced search and replace?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 4 Jan 2001 10:55:37
Message: <slrn95977q.c04.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Thu, 4 Jan 2001 15:20:10 +0100, Rune wrote:
>"Tom Melly" wrote:
>> Dunno about vb-script - why not give PERL a try? Okay, a bit
>> of a learning curve (although I'm sure you would find help
>> very forthcoming), but at the end you've learnt a nice,
>> multi-purpose, portable lang.
>
>I think I once decided with myself that if I were ever to learn a real
>programming language I'd start with Pascal or Delphi or what it's called...
>
>Why do you think PERL would be the best choice?

Despite the fact that it's an acronym, it's actually spelt either Perl or
perl.

It's a good choice because it is designed precisely for extracting and
formatting text and has many powerful features aimed at just that purpose.
In fact, the name itself stands for "practical extraction and reporting
language" (not "pathologically eclectic rubbish lister" as some would
claim.)

For the same reasons, Delphi would be a poor choice.  Pascal is a notoriously
weak language for doing real work, and it has abysmal support for string
manipulation.  Even C is better, and C's string support sucks too.

Somewhere around here I even have the global search-and-replace script
that you need, believe it or not.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.