POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : mesh for icosahedron : Re: mesh for icosahedron Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mesh for icosahedron
From: Ron Parker
Date: 3 Jan 2001 15:12:09
Message: <slrn9571sr.bc6.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Sat, 30 Dec 2000 18:40:37 -0500, Chris Huff wrote:
>In article <3a4e6e6c$1@news.povray.org>, "Jan Walzer" <jan### [at] lzernet>
>wrote:
>
>> It should be go with a recursive algorithm .... (sounds like StarTrek,
>> heheeee ...)
>
>...snip...
>
>That won't let you specify a specific number of triangles to use, only a
>recursion level. The number of triangles increases rather rapidly with
>recursion level.

One way to provide more options is to also allow starting with a regular
octahedron or icosahedron.

My golfball code (at the address below) contains the germ of this algorithm
for a starting point of an icosahedron.  It only generates the vertices,
not the triangles, but it might be a good starting point.   I've been meaning
to generalize it a little (replace the constant #defines with a smaller number
of constant #defines) but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.