POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What happened to off-topic? : Re: What happened to off-topic? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:19:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What happened to off-topic?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 3 Jan 2001 12:32:06
Message: <slrn956ogo.b77.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Wed, 3 Jan 2001 12:17:51 -0500, Bill Dewitt wrote:
>    I can point you to some flame wars if you need to learn the difference.

Now see, that's what I'm talking about.  Rather than say "what you think
is a flamewar doesn't compare to some I've seen" you insult my intelligence
and/or education instead.  Thanks for the example, though.

>Pointing out that someone may have said something the writer considers
>stupid is not a flame war. Two or more people slamming each other with every

There's a huge difference between saying "what you are saying is stupid, and
here's why" and "you are stupid and/or a liar because you refuse to agree
with me or I've chosen to ignore what you said in favor of what I wish you'd
said."

One is rational discussion.  The other is mindless flaming.  Just because
nobody in off-topic was particularly creative with their flames doesn't make
them not flames.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.