POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What happened to off-topic? : Re: What happened to off-topic? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:22:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What happened to off-topic?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 3 Jan 2001 11:45:32
Message: <slrn956lpe.b70.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Wed, 03 Jan 2001 08:19:52 -0800, Jerry wrote:
>I already posted here once how I think "kill files" should be renamed
>"interests and disinterests" to make people more willing to use them.
>But yeah, unless the reader takes responsibility for what they read in
>some manner, a single poster can bring the system down.

You are deliberately missing the point.  Our concern is not those of you
who know how to use killfiles, it is those of you who haven't been reading
povray.off-topic since the beginning and don't have appropriate killfiles
yet.  Yes, maybe most members of the community aren't reading the flamewars[1]
but the most critical members of the community - the new ones - were being
exposed to all of the unadulterated sewage that passed for discussion in
povray.off-topic.

[1] and yes, they are flamewars.  If you're one of the few people Matt never
called stupid or a liar, you obviously never tried reasoning with him.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.