POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature requests iden() : Re: Feature requests iden() Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:08:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature requests iden()
From: Ron Parker
Date: 29 Nov 2000 07:47:39
Message: <slrn929unc.k67.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 06:59:16 -0500, Chris Huff wrote:
>I was thinking that only valid identifiers would be useable as keys.
>Basically a group of variables called by name, something that could
>probably be done easily with a sort of name-mangling.

Yes, but then it couldn't be used for the sort of iden() tricks this whole
thing started with, nor for the sparse or dynamic arrays others have asked
for.

>If you can use any values as a key, but not identifiers, it is a bit
>different...how about the function-like notation? Or just go back to the
>[] array notation, which seems to work well enough in this case.

I prefer the [] notation to the () notation, but I wish there were a third
alternative besides {}, because either [] or () is going to require the person
reading the code to find the declaration to know what's going on.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.