POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature requests iden() : Re: Feature requests iden() Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:14:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature requests iden()
From: Ron Parker
Date: 27 Nov 2000 17:38:07
Message: <slrn925oii.iqm.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 16:45:50 -0500, Chris Huff wrote:
>In article <slr### [at] fwicom>, ron### [at] povrayorg
>wrote:
>
>> I think I'd rather see associative arrays a la perl.
>
>Maybe Warp can implement that as a macro... :-)
>Could you give more information on what the syntax would be like? Aren't
>associative arrays just structures that "associate" a string or hash
>with a variable?

The Perl syntax, which is, well, Perl syntax, is

$foo{"bar"}

which indicates "the scalar member of associative array foo having index
'bar'".

An associative array is a variable-sized data structure (a hash table,
in Perl) which associates a key with an arbitrary scalar value.  Perl
uses them to do its equivalent of data structures, among other things.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.