POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I'm Back! : Re: I'm Back! Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:25:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm Back!
From: Steve
Date: 27 Oct 2000 11:21:58
Message: <slrn8vj6l9.j04.steve@zero-pps.localdomain>
All sounds like good stuff but:

Most of it sounds like a duplication of effort with both current and
proposed projects.

Maybe it'd be better to offer your services towards helping in
renovating www.povray.org which will include many of the features
that you talk about, but has the added advantage of working with
a team so the whole thing doesn't rely on you - which is why all
the progejcts of a similar nature in the past have
failed/dissapeared because there's so much content to bring
together and once up and running needs a considerable amount of
maintenance no matter how much you automate the processes.

Certain aspects of the current POV site need fixing and
revamping, for example the software reviews link doesn't
work, the user galleries page hasn't changed in over a
year I wonder how many of those links are still live?
And the texture library though fairly comprehensive is very
monotonous, look through it for five minutes and you start
to fall asleep.

Of course the jewel in the crown of www.povray.org has to be
the new links section maintainte by our very own Uncle Ken.

And when it comes to forums/chat, there's nothing better than
these news groups.  If someone's behind a firewall it's because
they're at work and probably shouldn't be reading these NGs
anyway, and if they need to as part of their job they can go to
the sys admin and get that access given to them.  Also I'm
always against anything that requires a person to be on line
for long periods of time, here in Europ we pay dearly for our
time on-line (through phone charges).

Didn't you used to maintain the patch station, now that's something
that would be very useful.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet

web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  1:33pm  up 16 days, 14:53,  2 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00