POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Making Background transparent... : Re: Making Background transparent... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:03:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making Background transparent...
From: Ron Parker
Date: 27 Sep 2000 09:36:28
Message: <slrn8t3ur4.7hh.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Wed, 27 Sep 2000 06:37:45 +0300, Peter Popov wrote:
>On 26 Sep 2000 15:57:28 -0400, ron### [at] povrayorg (Ron Parker)
>wrote:
>
>>>So, when anti-aliasing, how should POV treat rays that hit the
>>>background? Ignore them?
>>
>>No, average them in as pure alpha.  Rune has the right idea.
>
>Rune proposes that they should be ignored in the color channels and
>only the alpha channel carried information about them. This would make
>more sense if a) the background color is stored in the image somehow
>(I like Rune's idea about 100% transparent pixels)

Why do you want the background color stored in the image?   By asking for
alpha, you're asking that the background color be irrelevant.  Programs
that ignore the alpha channel aren't working properly and should be
ignored themselves.  In effect, you're asking for a background color of
pure alpha, which should override the setting in the global_settings block.

 and b) sky_sphere
>is not used. I dont' really know how this will affect fog, global
>media and rainbow effects. I am pretty sure it will mess the former
>two up, though.

Fog at least will always preclude any background from showing through.
Global media and rainbow can mix with alpha just as easily as they can
with a real background.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.
Proudly not helping RIAA and SDMI steal my rights --
  http://www.eff.org/Misc/EFF/Newsletters/EFFector/HTML/effect13.08.html