POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : RFE: polka dot pattern : Re: RFE: polka dot pattern Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:16:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RFE: polka dot pattern
From: Ron Parker
Date: 20 Sep 2000 11:47:06
Message: <slrn8shnol.365.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 10:23:12 -0400, Chuck Roberts wrote:
>I have tried spherical, spotted/bozo, and leopard. They all have
>turbulence in them, which I don't want. I want a pattern of
>perfect circles. I guess the texture is not the way to go.
>Perhaps I'll have to make an image for an image map. But thanks.

Leopard does not have turbulence in it.  It does lead to somewhat
squarish dots on some surfaces if your color map has transitions
too close to the edge of the cells (anywhere past about .7, I think)
but it does not have built-in turbulence.  Neither does spherical.
Perhaps you should recheck your code.

Do note that these are 3d patterns, and as such might not look like
you expect them to on curved surfaces.  For a curved surface, you
need UV mapping, which (at the moment anyway) requires MegaPOV.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.
Proudly not helping RIAA and SDMI steal my rights --
  http://www.eff.org/Misc/EFF/Newsletters/EFFector/HTML/effect13.08.html