POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 4.0 Feature discussion : Re: 4.0 Feature discussion Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:22:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 4.0 Feature discussion
From: Peter J  Holzer
Date: 10 Sep 2000 14:01:12
Message: <slrn8rniuf.5q8.hjp-usenet@teal.h.hjp.at>
On 9 Sep 2000 16:08:40 -0400, Warp wrote:
>Greg M. Johnson <gre### [at] my-dejanewscom> wrote:
>:> Secondly: With progressive render you can't use antialiasing.
>
>: You're obviously more informed than I, but must this be true?
>
>  Ok, it's not true. You can use antialiasing, but only for every
>  pixel.

This is also not true. After you have rendered the whole frame without
AA, you can "refine" only those pixels which differ more than some
threshold from their neighbours.

>: AA happens by comparing pixel colors to those around it. If there is
>: too much difference, it sends out new pixels, right?
>
>  Yes, but if there are no nearby pixels,

Every pixel has at least 3 nearby pixels.

>  Also continuing an interrupted render may cause problems with this
>kind of progressive rendering.

True. You would need a file format which lets you determine exactly
where you left off. For example, with PNG, you could use the alpha
channel to store info about whether the pixel has already been computed.

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Nicht an Tueren mangelt es,
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | sondern an der Einrichtung (aka Content).
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |       zum Thema Portale in at.linux