POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ANNOUNCE: IsoWood Include 0.1 : Re: ANNOUNCE: IsoWood Include 0.1 Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:20:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANNOUNCE: IsoWood Include 0.1
From: Ron Parker
Date: 22 Aug 2000 19:10:28
Message: <slrn8q62rf.1ku.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 17:06:35 -0500, Chris Huff wrote:
>One way to flip the inner function's sign would be to use an object
>pattern, though I may add this capability to the pattern itself.
>And wouldn't this remove *all* the areas which are causing trouble with
>the object pattern?

Yes.  That is, it'd remove the surface of the object.

>And the axis of a cylinder/cone

Actually, not the axis.  For a cylinder, two cones at the ends, and the line
segment connecting their apexes.  For a cone, a different cone at the base
and the line segment connecting its apex with the containing cone.
There are external places where it's undifferentiable as well.

>Isn't the maximum gradient used to help prevent missing
>these intersections?

No.  It's used to help the solving algorithm know when there can't possibly
be a solution in the test interval.  I've been thinking about the problem,
though, and I think it might be okay after all if there are some isolated
spots where it's not differentiable, so long as it's continuous.  After all,
min/max have the same problem.  This whole thread may be a false alarm.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.