POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hints on outdoor radiosity...? : Re: Hints on outdoor radiosity...? Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:04:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hints on outdoor radiosity...?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 7 Aug 2000 09:32:45
Message: <slrn8otfaj.15c.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Mon, 07 Aug 2000 04:02:15 -0700, Xplo Eristotle wrote:
>> Concerning the "diffuse light" from the sky, is this light in a shade of
>> blue since the sky is blue?
>
>If you're not sure about this, you need to get out more. Someone left a
>big ol' reference sky lying out there for you to use.

Except that it's hard to determine whether the statement is correct on
an average day.  The answer is, believe it or not, yes, but the light from
the sun tends to overpower the subtle blue illumination most of the time.
The only time I've seen it is in large areas of shadow on snowy winter days.

>> Is it possible to calculate the "color" of the
>> sun at different times (i.e. sunset/mid-day/dawn)...?
>
>I suppose, yeah.. but you could probably guess and get something reasonable.

There's a whole paper out there somewhere on approximating the color of the
sky.  It might have been presented at SIGGRAPH within the past few years;
check http://www2.iro.umontreal.ca/~ratib/code/redirect.cgi?Goto=cg-pub.htm

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.