POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Another POV-Ray site suggestion : Re: Another POV-Ray site suggestion Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:25:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another POV-Ray site suggestion
From: Ron Parker
Date: 23 Jun 2000 09:14:37
Message: <slrn8l6pb8.8ft.ron.parker@linux.parkerr.fwi.com>
On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 23:49:44 -0700, Lee Brown wrote:
>Do you know if the index file is in some kind of standard format (like *.mdb
>or .dbf).  It may be possible to write a Client-Server java application that
>would run on your machine (don't know if it could take the load though) to
>process queries that the client side java code on the loaded page could
>transmit.  I don't know enough about the java database stuff to know how
>easy it would be to do this.  I could write some code in Delphi that would
>do it, but that would mean that an .exe would have to be downloaded for
>people to run on the client-side.  Delphi would necessitate a known database
>format which is why I asked that originally.  This is not a very good
>solution I must admit, but the only one that comes to mind.

Interesting definition of standard you have there.  No, the index file is in
swish-e format, because that's what I indexed it with.  Server-side code would
have to run on Linux, and client-side would have to be sufficiently portable
to run on, at the very least, Linux, BSD, Windows, MacOS, and BeOS.  I'd
rather make it work in a web browser.

Part of the problem is that I don't want to run the server locally, because
I have limited bandwidth available.

Fortunately, a solution may have presented itself.  I just need to work out
the details.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.