POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Another POV-Ray site suggestion : Re: Another POV-Ray site suggestion Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another POV-Ray site suggestion
From: Ron Parker
Date: 22 Jun 2000 11:34:30
Message: <slrn8l4d4v.lo.ron.parker@linux.parkerr.fwi.com>
On 21 Jun 2000 19:33:33 -0400, Ron Parker wrote:
>On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 01:47:19 +0300, Peter Popov wrote:

>>>That's one of my on-again, off-again projects, but I haven't yet found an
>>>indexing engine that can handle that much data efficiently.
>>
>>You know the saying, if you can't find one... :)
>
>Easier said than done.  I found one, actually, that seems like it can do
>the job, but when it's trying to index the more active groups like this
>one it dies when the indexing process reaches 64M of memory.  I have 64M
>of physical memory and 128M of swap, but it never seems to touch swap.
>I haven't figured that out yet.

(following up to myself)

I finally got it figured out.  I now have word indexes of all of the
newsgroups on this server, including articles on off-topic that are long
gone.  The collection is 18 megs, zipped (about 50 megs, unzipped) and
current as of 2 AM EST yesterday morning.  I still have to figure out how
to do incremental updates, but that doesn't look too hard.

Now... what do I do with them?  I don't know of any free web hosts that
allow custom CGI and will let me host 50 megs of indexes plus the swish-e
executable.  Any suggestions?  I have DSL, but it's only 128kb upstream
and my ISP doesn't let me run a server, so I'm stuck with external
solutions.  For the best results, I'd also have to have a database of
names, dates, subjects, and messageIDs so I could look up info on the
results without having to hit the news server.  That's easy enough to
build, but it'd take up lots of space too.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.