POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Another POV-Ray site suggestion : Re: Another POV-Ray site suggestion Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:25:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another POV-Ray site suggestion
From: Ron Parker
Date: 21 Jun 2000 19:33:33
Message: <slrn8l2krm.k97.ron.parker@linux.parkerr.fwi.com>
On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 01:47:19 +0300, Peter Popov wrote:
>On 21 Jun 2000 09:11:59 -0400, ron### [at] povrayorg (Ron Parker)
>wrote:
>
>>>How about the ability to do a search on the newsgroups that are held on the
>>>server.
>>
>>That's one of my on-again, off-again projects, but I haven't yet found an
>>indexing engine that can handle that much data efficiently.
>
>You know the saying, if you can't find one... :)

Easier said than done.  I found one, actually, that seems like it can do
the job, but when it's trying to index the more active groups like this
one it dies when the indexing process reaches 64M of memory.  I have 64M
of physical memory and 128M of swap, but it never seems to touch swap.
I haven't figured that out yet.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.