POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Japan & Poland : Re: Japan & Poland Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:19:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Japan & Poland
From: Steve
Date: 21 May 2000 11:04:35
Message: <slrn8ifqei.nhf.sjlen@zero-pps.localdomain>
On Tue, 16 May 2000 17:11:17 -0700, Ken wrote:

>Gilles Tran wrote:
>
>> It looks that there is a very good reason why there has been a Japanese
>> povray book and why POV-Ray was granted a long review in a Japanese
>> magazine. But what about these many Polish users ? Is POV-Ray
>> particularly popular in Poland ?
>> G.
>
>There is no doubt the Japanese comprise a good portion of the POV-Ray
>community now even though we have little communication with them
>because of the language barrier. In recent times we have also seen
>an emergence of people coming from the former Soviet block countries
>(understandable) as well as mainland China. I do find it surprising
>that we don't see any traffic from India and the entire African
>continent is poorly represented. I am sure that the economic
>infrastructures of the various countries has a lot to do with it.

I'm also surprised that we don't see lots of participants from India,
and a very large number speak English and also have enough wealth to
buy computers and have an internet connection.  About 5 years ago I
saw a BBC program about cable TV in India and they said that there
were more than 250 million cable viewers in India (probably a lot
more than there are in the US).  Whenever I've noticed an entry
from India in the IRTC it seems to be very off topic, maybe they
just have a very different idea about graphics, their films tend
to be what we call musicals.  So maybe it's just down to a difference
in taste.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:sjl### [at] ndirectcouk

web http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~sjlen/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  2:27pm  up 3 days, 22:31,  4 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00