POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray help site : Re: POV-Ray help site Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:38:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray help site
From: Ron Parker
Date: 18 May 2000 09:41:52
Message: <slrn8i7th6.5np.ron.parker@linux.parkerr.fwi.com>
On 17 May 2000 20:41:21 -0400, Doug Eichenberg wrote:
>I'm considering the possibility of creating a POV-Ray help site and I want
>to get some feedback.  Basically, what I have in mind is a website with the
>following:
>
>1. All the text from the newsgroups.
>4. A search function that accesses all of the above.

I wanted to do a search function that would redirect the searcher to the
actual newsgroup to display the "hits" (which would reduce load on my
server and avoid the copyright concerns) but I discovered that there aren't
any good open-source text indexing programs that can update the indexes
incrementally, and reindexing 700+ megs of messages every night would
leave my poor machine with no free time.  Someday I may break down and
write my own indexing program, but I have no delusions that it'll be an
easy task or that I'll get it anywhere close to right the first time.

I guess what I'm saying is, you might not understand the sheer scope of
what it is you're proposing to do.  It's not an easy job.