POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The License : Re: The License Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The License
From: Peter J  Holzer
Date: 25 Apr 2000 20:02:42
Message: <slrn8gc9mn.rg0.hjp-usenet@teal.h.hjp.at>
On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 21:45:10 GMT, Sven-Erik Andersen wrote:
>On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 12:43:41 +0200, "Johannes Hubert" <jht### [at] mailacom>
>wrote:
>>The POV team would insofar loose its control over the applications
>>into which their code is integrated, but it would not allow anyone to
>>make money with the POV code, because the new product would also have
>>to use the GNU license.
>
>As far as I understand the GNU license, it doesn't prohibit people to
>make money of a product covered by the license, and it was never the
>idea behind it either.

This is correct. However, since you cannot keep anyone from distributing
a GPL'ed program, you cannot make make money by selling the program
itself. If you sell the program for $1000, somebody will just burn it on
1000 CDs and sell them for $10 each. You can, however, make money by
distributing the software ("POVray + printed manual for only $29"),
by giving support ("Problems with POVray? You can call us 24x7 for only
$1000 per month"), or by improving it ("You need NURBS and you need them
next month? We'll implement them for only $10000").

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Nicht an Tueren mangelt es,
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | sondern an der Einrichtung (aka Content).
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |       zum Thema Portale in at.linux