POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SURVEY real short will take 10 seconds of your time : Re: SURVEY real short will take 10 seconds of your time Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SURVEY real short will take 10 seconds of your time
From: Steve
Date: 16 Feb 2000 12:19:29
Message: <slrn8akg3s.5cj.sjlen@zero-pps.localdomain>
On 9 Feb 2000 04:22:58 -0500, Nieminen Juha <war### [at] punarastascstutfi> wrote:
>  I play the guitar, and as you may know, it's played so that the left hand
>is at the neck; so the left hand has to do pretty more meticulous job than
>the right hand.
>
>  Now, this is interesting: Usually left-handed people play the guitar in
>the wrong way (ie. the right hand is at the neck). This results in either a
>harder job (because the strings are reversed and you can, for example, tap
>the bass strings with the thumb of your right hand) or in the need of
>changing the ordering of the strings (which disables you from playing other
>guitars than yours; and I think that some guitars are not designed for this
>and you can't reverse the ordering of the strings).
>  Both of them are difficult solutions.
>  However, I have a friend who is left-handed but plays the guitar as
>right-handed people do. He says that it's not difficult; it's just a matter
>of not starting playing the guitar in the wrong way. Once you learn the
>"bad" habit of playing the guitar reversed, it's very difficult to learn it
>in the other way.

Depends what kind of music you play which hand has to do the most work.  For
a lot of the stuff I play the right hand has to do much more intricate work
than the left, dualing banjos for example has a blue grass type bit in it that's
really demanding for the person who's doing the picking in that section.

My guitar teacher used to say pritty much what you've said here, if a kid came
in who'd never played before but was left handed he would say that they
might as well start off the right handed way, and they'll never know the
difference.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:sjl### [at] ndirectcouk

web http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~sjlen/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  5:42am  up 1 day, 16:45,  5 users,  load average: 2.08, 2.04, 1.94