POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Yo Colefax ! : Re: Yo Colefax I Solved The Problem ! Server Time
10 Aug 2024 23:26:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yo Colefax I Solved The Problem !
From: Ron Parker
Date: 6 Dec 1999 13:55:15
Message: <slrn84o1k2.v8.ron.parker@ron.gwmicro.com>
On Mon, 06 Dec 1999 10:01:11 -0800, Ken wrote:

>The question that arises then is if this is desirable behavior. I expect
>a point light to interact with media in a similar way as a spot light with
>the exception that it is a uniform distribution of interaction rather than
>a focused interaction like you recieve with a spotlight. To some degree
>I understand why adding the plane works but wouldn't it be considered
>a hack rather than desirable behavior ?

Yes, it is a hack.  Offhand, I can't think of a way to do the right thing
with respect to effectively infinite intervals, but I'll sleep on it.
Suggestions are welcome, of course.  One idea I'm bouncing around is
the notion that rays leaving the bounding sphere of the scene should be
split into intervals at the point where they leave the sphere, but I'm
not sure what implications that would have.