POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Yo Colefax ! : Re: Yo Colefax I Solved The Problem ! Server Time
10 Aug 2024 23:26:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yo Colefax I Solved The Problem !
From: Ron Parker
Date: 6 Dec 1999 12:29:57
Message: <slrn84nskc.v8.ron.parker@ron.gwmicro.com>
On Sun, 05 Dec 1999 14:05:34 -0800, Ken wrote:

>Margus Ramst wrote:
>

>> Glad to hear you solved the problem. But I'm not sure I understand. You have two
>> light sources, in line with the camera, and the spot light in the background was
>> causing the media to display as white spots, right?
>> But why is it 'a silly mistake' to expect this spot light to work correctly with
>> scattering media? Why should the media display as white spots?
>>
>> Margus
>
>  Your guess is as good as mine. Media is a tricky beast and I will be the
>first to admit that I am not a master with it.
>
>  This should be enough for you to recreate it for yourself. For the two
>point light sources turn media interation = on and you should see the
>problem immediately.

The spotlight isn't necessary to get this effect.  The problem, as I had
suspected, is that the sampling interval for the point lights is essentially
infinite, so the chance of getting a sample that scatters the light from the
point sources is vanishingly small.  If you add a backstop like

 plane {-z,-500 pigment {rgbt 1}}

to the scene, it renders as expected (though it's all white.)  Notice the
lack of the hollow keyword.  Since I didn't expect significant contributions
from the media beyond 500 units, I elected to remove it from consideration and
speed up the render a tad.  (indeed, if you add hollow it's still all white,
as expected.)