POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Unicode : Re: Unicode Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:30:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unicode
From: Ron Parker
Date: 13 Sep 1999 09:52:37
Message: <slrn7tq0d6.v8.parkerr@ron.gwmicro.com>
On Mon, 13 Sep 1999 01:04:10 -0700, Jon A. Cruz wrote:
>There was some talk of wanting to at least allow different languages in the
>comments. The main problem is that the text display is fairly isolated, whereas
>the parsing is more of all over.

The part you'd want to change, though, is mostly a smallish case statement
in tokenize.c.  At the moment, it treats a-z, A-Z, and _ as the beginning of
a symbol.  You'd want to make it treat anything with the high bit set as a
symbol as well.  You'd also need to modify the Read_Symbol code to recognize
and parse correctly characters with the high bit set.  This would allow
high-bit characters to be used inside of declared symbols, which includes
macro names and arguments.  There'd probably also be a few small modifications
needed to some error-reporting code, unless you're comfortable with sending
UTF-8 to the error stream in the event of an undefined symbol or the like.

Believe it or not, the tokenizer can already deal with high-bit UTF-8 characters
inside of comments and literal strings.  The built-in editor in the Windows
version can't, of course, but I'd expect someone using UTF-8 to use something
more suited to Unicode, such as Unipad.

Parsing UCS-2 or UCS-4 would be a lot more difficult, of course.