POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Dual processors? : Re: Dual processors? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 01:23:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dual processors?
From: Lodewijk Voge
Date: 23 Jan 1999 12:34:04
Message: <slrn7ak24t.qk.lodewijk@reddwarf.xs4all.nl>
Mike <Ama### [at] aolcom> wrote:

  > Linux is better for old hardware.  If you have new hardware, chances are
  > there are no Linux drivers for it.

true, if you take a random pick of the newest hardware, chances are it won't
work. so choose your hardware wisely. for example, buy a G200 for 2D, and a
Voodoo 2 for 3D. pick what works. that G200 *flies*.

  > I've also heard that Xwindows can be as unstable as 95/98.

only on some drivers. most servers are pretty solid. last time I've had
X crash was a long time ago, and I telnetted in and restarted X. the OS
never went down.

http://www.gnome.org/

  > This NT user is very happy with the OS.  It doesn't crash all the time,
  > doesn't slow down, and doesn't balk at me every 5 minutes.  When I got 5
  > programs running and am copying data between them it never slows down.

?.. the NT machines at work choke when I do something as simple as copy from
a floppy disk. and if that disk happens to have a bad block, NT just halts
until you remove the floppy. pathetic.

  > I for one am looking forward to the death of the 90's line of windows!

I'm looking forward to the death of the entire line of windows.

and to pull this all ontopic: POVray rules on this dual PPro/200 Linux box.
easy scripting and a job queueing system keep both my CPUs busy when I need
to render stuff. and when I do, I don't notice any slowdown of interactive
applications at all. NT just doesn't compare, it doesn't come close.