POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3.1 beta is out... but no Linux version? : 3.1 beta is out... but no Linux version? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:25:20 EDT (-0400)
  3.1 beta is out... but no Linux version?
From: Brett Kosinski
Date: 11 Jul 1998 19:16:20
Message: <slrn6qfpb4.7kb.brettk@talisman.dyn.ml.org>
THe other day I decided to go to the POV-Ray homepage just to see what was
going on.  An lo and behold, I see "POV-Ray v3.1 PUBLIC BETA now
available!".  Woohoo, I cry, and so I download the docs and check out whats
new.  "This is too cool" I say to myself, and immediately go looking for
either 1) a sourceball I can d/l and install or 2) a set of Linux libc5
binaries.  But, to my disappointment, there are neither of these things.

Now, I know it's difficult for the POV-Team to support all platforms, but
would it be possible to have a Linux libc5 and glibc set of binaries
compiled and made available?  There are many of us Linuxers out here, and I
for one would love to try out this new beta.  If this isn't possible, what
is the chance of the public beta code being released?  I know this isn't
something the POV folks have done in the past, but is this even feasible?

Thanks for any response!

Brett (Linux enthusiast and amateur POV user. :)